Skip to main content

TSUBAKI-CHOU LONELY PLANET

< Is a first post in a blog as nerve-wracking as making first impressions with your imminent university classmates? No, of course not. It's much easier.

And for that unnecessary introduction, I'll now move on to my very first *wipes single tear* manga review here. And it's all about a sexy reclusive writer and a high school student living together. Have you guessed already? (Well, it's in the title...)

Yes, it's Tsubaki-chou Lonely Planet by Yamamori Mika! This was one of the few, newer ones I've been reading, and one that proved itself to be interesting. The story revolves around the protagonists, Ohno Fumi and Kibikino Akatsuki, the former an unfortunate high school student and the latter a reclusive (but attractive) and kind-of-an-airhead author. Other supporting characters that aren't less of the two are the editor, Gorou Kaneishi and Fumi's classmates, Tobiume You and Aioi Isshin.

The story's premise is that Fumi, a rather simple-minded and matured high school student, was forced to work as a live-in housekeeper due to her father's debts (which was I think around six ::eight:: million yen?). With her father away working in a boat, she was taken in by Akatsuki on the thought that she was an older lady...due to her name, "Fumi." Thus start with her living with this unexplainable and unpredictable creature that is Akatsuki-sensei. Additionally, the supporting characters add up and give more color to this cute and refreshing setting. However, the story builds up rather slowly, with their few interactions and their relationship with other people. But, alas, the spice that I felt in the series continued on until the latest chapter. (I personally don't want to drop some spoilers, but, the fact that Fumi is attracted to and will eventually fall in love with Akatsuki-sensei is a given.)

Thoughts / Special Mentions

  • Gorou-san is the real MVP. He should be given the due respect and honor of being the wing-man, while also conspicuously developing his own feelings towards Fumi. (Having mixed feelings about this, if it ever really happens.)

  • Akatsuki-sensei is HOT. My goodness, I've only stumbled upon a number of HOT manga characters, but he is one of the most attractive ones I've encountered.

  • For the previous statement, I'm too honest to take it back. However, is it healthy to fangirl over a fictional character this much?

  • That woman, Katsura, from chapter 12 or 13! Argh! I haven't felt so pissed for so long! Who does she think she is? (I haven't even remembered her name if I haven't looked up which chapter she appeared.)

  • Another bullet to appreciate Sensei's hairstyles. How can a character be so attractive and mysterious?

  • I pray for Yoh's and Isshin's ship to sail smoothly, otherwise, just let Yoh be happy.

  • Regarding Sensei's past relationships, it just melts my heart both for Sensei and the girls. Too much misunderstandings and miscommunication going on.

  • I feel for Sensei. I hope Fumi won't fall for the same misconceptions about him. Gorou-san has even hinted that someone with a big heart is what Sensei needs...I'll be rooting for you, Fumi!

  • If all else fails, just hand Sensei over to me. *wink wink*

As of current scanlations, it's only on its thirty-third chapter, but given that it's a shoujo, and we get around thirty to forty pages per chapter, the story and character development are not short of amazing. Having said that, there aren't any updates from the group (Damn Feels!) yet. As for me, I'm thinking if I should buy the volumes just to marvel in Akatsuki-sensei's glory in printed material. [That came out wrong.]


// I think I've said too much. ( > n < ) //

NOW FOR MY FAVORITE PART--BITS AND PIECES FROM FAVE SCENE/PANELS OF THE MANGA!!!

It turned out to be a collection of collage. All images aren't mine, of course. I just put them together so it won't be too much of a hassle. I definitely want more collage of Sensei...maybe I'll add some in the future. But, for the time being, it will just be these ones and another special collage for Gorou-san. He deserves one solely for him. So, here it is:


That's too much for a first post, so I'll end it here before I unintentionally make it longer. If that's still possible.

じゃね。

Comments